My guiding light has been a desire to instill civic pride in all the residents of Holyoke. Be it the launching of Buy Holyoke Now, a new initiative to increase homeownership, or his focus on the creative economy, I have set out to market Holyoke as a great place to live, work, and have fun. The momentum our community has gained over the course of my first term has provided national attention to our city, helping to attract innovative minds that want to be a part of what’s happening in Holyoke.
Additionally, I have:
- Opened a new Senior Center and library.
- Strived to revive Holyoke’s downtown as a desirable destination with Creative Economy and a cleaner downtown: new waste receptacles and more litter vacuums daily.
- Established the Banner Program and Adopt an Island Program.
- Revitalized my cabinet with a new, diverse set of people and provided transparency throughout the process of placing new people on boards and commissions.
- Launched a new city website.
- Provided Spanish classes for city employees.
- Created new parks: Community Field, Veterans Park, Avery Field, and a skateboard park.
- Created awareness by lighting up city hall for holidays, raising the LGBT flag, and by supporting Holyoke’s diverse communities.
- Welcomed an inflow of new people moving into the city.
- Increased Holyoke’s aesthetics with new infrastructure, including sidewalks and roads.